August 15, 2019
Dear KIDDIELAND ECE Families,
We hope that everyone has been enjoying their summer and the amazing weather that we have had during the last months. We have enjoyed three fun and fabulous months of summer camp. Students will enjoy their last day of summer camp August 30th before we welcome everyone’s smiling faces again on September 3th.
We feel we have learned so much from your children and hope that they have had as much fun as we did. We have adhered to the calendar with the exception of circumstances beyond our control or those involving inclement weather. During our activities, we have used different types of materials including dough (pizza, cookies, breads,) clay (figurines), string, construction paper (kite making), inks, (tie dye), and recyclable materials for various art projects including soil, grass seed, and pots for our “Grass Heads.” Co-operative play was evident in many activities involving indoor and outdoor games, and team play. On the playground, children enjoyed movement and play (Zumba Dance, Bulls Eye Target throw, ring toss, water activities) and team sports (soccer, basketball, parachute games, and flag football), that involved the use of fine and gross motor skills. Our children enjoyed field trips to the Lincoln Park Zoo and Wonder Works, music and singing, chef’s in training, and so much more. We were entertained by a magician, marionettes, a juggler, and lots of interactive fun. We thank all of our parent and family member chaperones and volunteers. We are happy to have parents and family members volunteer for not only special events but throughout the entire year. We appreciate your cooperation and support of Kiddieland.
Staff members have been working hard all summer preparing for the new school year. Some have been extensively cleaning and organizing their classrooms, some have attended professional development workshops to improve instruction, and a better understanding of our curriculum and the Reggio Emilia philosophy. This Fall, we will continue with the Science lessons for the 3-year-old and up children, and Music and Movements for all ages. Spanish Language will be ongoing in all of the classrooms. More focused attention will be provided to children 4 years old and up who will be leaving Kiddieland for Kindergarten next Fall. Their curriculum will be complemented with the development of computer skills, and reinforcement in writing, reading and math basic skills.
We are excited to begin a fresh new school year with some new faces! We welcome all our new students, families, and staff members. Our School year will have three components with different goals and objectives. First, Fall (September 3rd to December 23rd), second, Spring (January 2nd to May 29th, 2020) and third, Summer (June 1st to August 31st, 2020). As we approach the beginning of the school year, the following information should assist you in planning. Enclosed is a copy of the Fall 2019 calendar with school closure dates, vacations, holidays, early dismissal days, and special event days; if necessary, emergency days may need to be added. Please note that during the school year ALL students must arrive no later than 9:00 a.m. Rather than asking parents to complete new enrollment forms for the school year, please review your child’s current file to confirm addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, authorized adults for child pick-up, and medical information. We ask that you pay close attention to our website for all of our school announcements, calendar, menus, and all activities.
We are currently in the fall enrollment process. Please let us know if you or anyone you know is interested in enrolling for fall since relatives and referrals from our current families have priority enrollment. In September, and throughout the year, children may be transitioned to the next class. Movements are based on the child’s age, space availability, and the development and readiness of the child. Teachers will update and discuss with parents when their child may begin the process of moving forward. The time frame for transitions is based on the child’s success of adjustment to their new classroom. Transitions can take as long as two weeks or as short as one day. It is very important that the child is comfortable with their new teacher and classmates and we ask that parents encourage and support their child in this period of acclimation.
At this time, we would like to announce that our new addition is completed. We currently are utilizing our new indoor gym when the weather is too hot or raining. The children play games, exercise, listen to music, and do all sorts of activities. The new Achievers classroom will be ready in September for children ages 3 to 3 ½. Every year, Kiddieland adjusts our room assignments to most benefit the needs of the children, staff, and center. Kiddieland strives to maintain a staff that is qualified, educated, experienced, and complies with the requirements of DCFS. We are adding additional teachers and co-teachers, and are in the process of finalizing these changes. We will update you when this is completed.
Kiddieland Educational Center of Excellence recognizes that communication between parents and the school is essential. The beginning of a new school year brings us the start of our Kiddieland Coffee and Conversation. During this time, the program director and administration will meet with parents to exchange ideas and comments to help us improve our program for the benefit of the children. We will be scheduling times in October, November, and December and will update as dates have been determined. Kiddieland is committed to maintaining high quality early childhood education and we understand the importance of our parents’ feedback.
PLEASE SAVE THE DATE. Our Annual Kiddieland Educational Center Back to School Picnic is Friday, September 6th, 2019 from 4:30pm to 6:00pm. There will be an early dismissal for the children at 4:30pm. The teachers will hold a meet and greet in the classrooms from 4:30pm to 5:00pm and will present information regarding Parent boards, curriculum, daily schedule, communication and answer all questions. Between 5:00pm and 6:00pm, Kiddieland will provide refreshments and entertainment for the children outdoors. This is a great opportunity for families new to Kiddieland to meet other parents and staff. Our new families will be able to see firsthand how the collaborative efforts and the school-family-community philosophy has been so successful in the education of children in our Portage Park/Belmont-Cragin neighborhoods. We are excited to have this opportunity which leads to parent participation! Feel free to bring your own lawn chair to kick back and enjoy watching your children play with their friends.
- For the safety of your young child, we would like parents to remember that children, who are unable to tie their shoes, should only wear shoes without laces.
- Children should arrive to Kiddieland ECE before 9:00 AM but no later than 10:00 AM unless Kiddieland ECE is previously notified and arrives with a doctor’s note.
- If children are not here during breakfast time, lunch time, or snack time, make sure he/she has eaten before coming. Otherwise they will have to wait until the next meal time. (Please refer to the Daily Schedule for this information)
- All food prepared and served in Kiddieland ECE are to be consumed in the classroom due to our food program requirements.
- There is no outside food/drink allowed in the center. Parents should wait with children in the car until they finished with their food/ drink and then bring them inside.
- All children should arrive each day with his/her nails trimmed, to avoid accidents.
- Please call the center and let us know when and why children will be absent.
- Please ensure your child’s cubby/basket is updated with clothes needed for the following fall season.
- We ask all families to update your child’s information form with Mrs. Lea Gambino. It is imperative for your child’s folder to hold current and updated information. All children’s physical forms must be up to date with all vaccinations and tests.
- There is a $50.00 materials fee, per child, due at the beginning of the school year on September 1st. It will be included in the September tuition and notated on the statement. If there are any questions, please ask Ms. Barbara Bednarz.
- Please do not use the rear emergency door for entrance and exit. This is to be used only for when the children go to and from the playground and as an emergency exit.
- As security is always a priority, please not share your keyless entry code with anyone and most importantly, do not allow anyone to piggyback into the building on your code. As stated in the parent manual, there is a fine for sharing your keyless entry code with anyone. Please remember that this is for the safety of your children. Also, it is necessary that parents/guardians always sign children in and out each morning and evening.
Kiddieland Educational Center of Excellence is committed, passionate, and sincere in our quest to provide the best for every child that becomes part of our family. Our main purpose is to best serve our community and what is most important our families. We welcome any questions or issues you may have in the future and look forward to a wonderful Fall 2019.
Mrs. Zarahi Menendez